Monday, April 13, 2015

Day 13: Sprung

(Following  yesterday's napowrimo.net prompt to convert a piece of descriptive prose into poem form.)



No longer open and bare,
the trail is embraced by salmonberries
sprung up overnight.
The stream banks are sheltered now,
the hillside a riot of shapes and shades –
green, yellow, brown.
Green, so green.

I hesitate, thinking
I must have gotten on the wrong trail.
No, there is only one trail –
I have walked it all winter.
Indeed, as I look, I recognize those stones,
roots, logs, pools –
familiar, but bathed in a new shade of spring.

A plump robin hops skittishly
from branch to branch ahead of me,
not quite afraid,
clutching a bit of moss
and a fat spring worm in his beak.
A dainty Douglas squirrel pauses
its climb up a gnarled root
to cock its head curiously at me.

Even the stones in the path glisten
in the light rain, drips displacing the delicate leaves
of the fringecup and the duck’s foot plant
like a herd of tiny animals beneath.

My eyes are wide, moving
from stream to hillside,
ground to sky,
soaking up the new-yet-familiar beauty
of springtime sounds and senses.
I can’t suppress the child-like wonder
and awe and delight I feel, nor do I want to –
I let the smile play freely across my face,
shining on everything I see.

Only the trilliums are fading,
their petals crumbling from stark white
to pink to deep magenta, until finally
they shrivel and fall to the ground,
signaling the end of the beginning of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment