Wednesday, April 10, 2013

NaPoWriMo Day 10: Skeletons in the Closet (Pantoum)


They say people keep skeletons in their closets,
But all I’ve found are coat hangers
Tinkling emptily in the breeze of an opened door
And a roll of toilet paper in the john.

All I’ve found are coat hangers,
Thirty years old, telling stories of the past
And a roll of toilet paper in the john.
Thank goodness, at least, for that.

Thirty years old, telling stories of the past –
Already I have aged beyond my years.
Thank goodness, at least, for that
Which holds my own body to my bones.

Already I have aged beyond my years,
Searching for a home with child inside,
Which holds my own body to my bones
When all else seems fragile and unknown.

Searching for a home, with child inside –
In my mind’s eye the future burns so bright
When all else seems fragile and unknown.
But this home has history I’ll never guess.

In my mind’s eye the future burns so bright –
We’ve finally found a house to call our own!
But this home has history I’ll never guess –
Empty hangers keep their secrets close.

We’ve finally found a house to call our own,
The aged hangers have new clothes to wear.
Empty hangers keep their secrets close
And we seldom think to ask ourselves why.

The aged hangers have new clothes to wear.
That roll of toilet paper, long ago replaced.
And we seldom think to ask ourselves why
They say people keep skeletons in their closets.

No comments:

Post a Comment