Thursday, April 4, 2013

NaPoWriMo Day 4: Sheila

Sheila

As Spring spreads her fragrant bounty across the earth
New life bursts forth to take the place of old.
But poignant memories of autumn yet remain
As fallen leaves still shield the tender shoots
And warm the soil when nights are cold.

When you go to your garden, watch the tulips reach
To touch the sky. Inhale the scent of hyacinths,
Whose starry clusters bloom and smell so sweet.
Take a moment for the crocus, and take heart –
Time will make softer my absence.

So do not grieve for me as Spring comes to the world,
No bittersweet torment do I wish for you.
No grief for loss, no sadness, no lament,
But gladness, hope, and gratitude for love
As Spring and life begin anew.

1 comment:

  1. Here in England it snowed again yesterday, but today the sun is out and it looks as if Spring may actually be on its way - the third Spring since my wife, Sheila, died. I read your poem - and cried.

    ReplyDelete