Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Day 15: The Sin of Spring (the full sestina)


If Autumn is the age of gluttony
‘Twixt Winter’s sloth and Summer’s glorious pride,
No sin, you think, can sully childlike Spring
For there is nothing on which vice can feed –
This is the season soil brings forth the seed.
Oh, but the sin of Spring is surely Greed!

Give me more, more, more! says Greed
My eyes are bigger than my garden. Gluttony
Whispers from the left, just one more seed;
And from the right – bold, over-ruling Pride
Encourages me: feed, feed, feed.
I can’t deny my plant lust in the spring.

Oh, what a joyous revolution, Spring!
This season when I have the luxury of Greed –
It finally seems possible to feed
My frame and fancy both. (Note: Gluttony
Begets the fall oft credited to Pride,
For nothing grows well when I crowd the seed.)

So strong, and yet so delicate, the seed
That pushes through the cold dark earth to spring
In one great burst for sunlight, as if pride
Were felt as well by plants as men. No greed
Can grow enough for Autumn’s gluttony –
I have a perennially hungry soul to feed.

But first comes learning how to feed
The soil, which must then nourish the seed
With its insatiable hunger (is this gluttony?)
I feel I must know everything in Spring –
A thirst for wisdom, too, can be deemed greed
If in my knowing I take undue pride.

My vegetables will be my garden’s pride –
If only I can grow enough to feed
Both family and wild creatures’ greed,
Then – then – I will have planted enough seed.
I want to live up to this promise (tease) of Spring –
This more, more, more! demand, this gluttony.

With humbled pride, I plant this prayer, this seed –
From this age of Greed, may bounty spring
To feed a family’s autumn gluttony.

No comments:

Post a Comment