Thursday, April 24, 2014

Day 24: Confession


I will admit it,
I was a welfare mother once –
As recently as
Yesterday morning, when I surrendered
My last voucher for bread,
Milk, cereal, cheese to feed my son,
Then swiped away the final dollars that remained
Of this month’s food stamps
To feed us all.

I’ve come to terms with shopping this way –
Painstaking list-making;
Checking and double-checking the glossy brochure
That shows which varieties of cereal are “approved,”
(Wondering why the so-called nutrition program
Condones so much sugar consumption)
Before reaching, yet again, for the plain, boring bran flakes;
Meticulous organization of cart contents, then
Loading everything onto the belt in proper groups by voucher;
Suppressing the flush that rises unbidden
When I hand the cashier
That tell-tale, tattered white card
And he checks the signature
Then steals a glance at the boy
Who is happily swiping the first of three
Methods of payment (none of which we have earned),
Over and over again.

It’s not easy, nor is it fun.
It’s simply necessary.
I am not glad, nor am I proud.
I am simply, deeply, grateful.

Yes, I will admit it –
Yesterday I was a welfare mother.
But tomorrow the first paycheck arrives,
Even more welcome
Than all of those blessed vouchers combined
Because it means we can finally start
Giving back.

No comments:

Post a Comment